Saturday, December 28, 2013

more new zines at dorisdorisdoris.com/zines

No Gods, No Mattress #20
Intense, honest, brave, beautiful zine, stories and details about childhood sibling sexual abuse and parental neglect, and working to heal. It reminds me how important the book The Courage to Heal is, when enola quotes from it 'our abusers were frequently the only ones who gave us attention or approval.' saying she had never thought about that before, and I too remember reading that and how much it made sense. Enola talks about self-harm and eating disorder finding strength in witches, finding support and care "in meetings, squates, at shows. at zine readings, on the road, in my p.o. box, in books, and in my own heart. ..I am defining my true self and i am chooseing which seeds to plant in my secret garden."


Spider Teeth: wherein our protaganist flies to Thailand to get a brand new cunt.
Super thick zine with a lot of details of getting surgery, but also about way more than surgery: it's about finding a way to tell the true story of her life without reinforcing cultural assumptions and the problematic macro-narrative that has been created about transwomen, and also telling the truth, finding ways to tell her story so it can be universally understood.


Stuck In Place: some thoughts on belonging
For so many years I have been trying to figure out ways to talk about whiteness and cultural appropriation in ways that are constructive and challenging and don't just shut people down. This zine is so great, and really helps me to think about these things and find new ways to talk with my friends about racism. Super thick zine super smart and thoughtful zine about being white, "I have vbeen working through a lot of confusion in my own relationship to home and seeing friends with settler privilege express similar feelings of being detached from place, or lacking in cultural roots and spirituality, and seeing us appropriate cultureal and spiritual practices without recongnizing what kind of violence we are engaging in or why it is violent in the first place. As a way to bring other settlers to undertand their own settler identities and the implicaitons of the actions we take within a white supremacist, colonizer culture. I am sharing my experiences in my own learning process. I am hoping this will be useful to other settlers grappling with understanding their own relationship to land, home and place." I love this zine in so many ways, and it particularly is helpful for me, because the author is not an academic (and doesn't write in academic language) and also comes from a working class background, which I relate to more than when people write from other perspectives. She is able to write about the violence and poverty in her own family and clearly state that this fact does not dismiss the reality of white privilege. I really hope all of us white people trying to understand our own internalized racism and how to fight racism or be an active anti-racist ally, we all should read this zine!
By the editor of It's Down to This

2 comments:

Sibling Sexual Abuse Resources said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sibling Sexual Abuse Resources said...

I just ordered this. I am the survivor and the lady that writes about my life in the http://paulabrave.wordpress.com

Looking forward to the read. Thanks. PB