Thursday, January 30, 2014

masculinity zine - role models

I'm working on a zine about masculinity, changing patriarchal masculinity.
A lot of us know someone who somehow challenged the stereotype of patriarchal masculinity, even if they didn't challenge it in every way. I'm looking for stories – you don't have to be able to really even tell a story, and you don't have to write a story – because I know that most people don't have the time to really sit down and write. What I'm thinking is I could interview people.

You could answer one or more of these questions:

  1. Did you, as a child or teen, have anyone in your life who challenged patriarchal masculinity in any way – for example, wasn't afraid to cry or show affection. (even if they were patriarchal in other ways)
  2. Did/do you have a male role model, either a real person in your life or a public/artistic figure. What aspects of that person inspires you.
  3. Describe an event or moment when you realized you had to cut off some aspect of yourself in order to conform with social or family expectations of what it meant to “be a man” (or, if they did not see you as male, a time when you had to suppress your true self in order to fit as not a man)
  4. Describe a time or event when you defied social expectations of what it means to be “a man.” This could be one moment or a whole life shift.
Options for how the story would be told:
  1. You could write it
  2. I could interview you (in person or over the phone or web chat) and then transcribe the interview word for word.
  3. I could interview you (in person or over the phone or web chat) and then create a written story from the information, which you then would have the chance to look over and change or approve.
Also, if you are doing the role model question and have any images of the person, I'd love to have a copy to reprint.

I know it can be strangely scary to think about these things, but we really need to begin to articulate a vision of positive masculinity.

“The crisis facing men is not the crisis of masculinity, it is the crisis of patriarchal masculinity. Until we make this distinction clear, men will continue to fear that any critique of patriarchy represents a threat...”
– bell hooks

5 comments:

Vulpesvulpes said...

I have someone in mind. How do I go about connecting you? Is there an email address I can give him?

Vulpesvulpes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andria Alefhi said...

awesome! will post link on my zine's page, We'll Never Have Paris right now.

Josh Rollins said...

I might have a story for you.

Dave Ferner said...

Id like to talk if youd like.